Monday, April 4, 2011

the zero dollar craft project

I've had this idea in the back of my head for quite awhile now (no seriously - this idea has been germinating for years) and I only acted upon it recently.  I think the title might be misleading... originally everything did cost money.  However, I have slight hoarding tendency's, and so when I finally embarked upon this project I didn't have to leave the house, or buy anything new!

I have always been a candle fan.  There is nothing like a candle light for setting a mood, flattering a complexion, or even just resting the eyes.  For years I would buy generic glass jarred candles and try and make them more unique by wrapping them in cool paper, or even just nesting them inside a different container.  I wanted to try making my own, but there has always been a certain air of *crunchy granola* associated with candle making, as well as remembrances of a failed jr high crayon melting experiment... and so I never really did anything with my generic glass jars.

Fast forward a few years, and I became a manager at that ubiquitous lotion and candle store (you know the one i'm talking about - it has a store at almost every mall across the country).  Needless to say, my candle collection grew to almost ridiculous proportions.  (I mean seriously, what is a girl to do during that amazing sale that happens twice a year).  Some of my votive collection ended up getting wrapped in tissue paper in order to add a little color and ambiance to our wedding decor (you can sort of see them on the table here), but I still had plenty sitting in boxes in my closet.

Until yesterday, when in a spurt of boredom  anti-housecleaning  inspiration, I matched up some of my vintage tea tins with some of my yummiest smelling candles.

I tried a few different ways of melting down the wax  First I chopped up the existing candles and then melting them down double-boiler style (and by double boiler I mean using spatulas to prop up a plastic mixing container T found for me in the garage); and then I went straight to immersing the existing jar in the water.  Both worked, but pre-chopping definitely led to quicker melting!
Not only was it super easy, but it made the house smell amazing!

I can't wait to send this one to a dear friend on the east coast who has waited ever so patiently for me to finally get around to finishing the knitted cowl for her dog I started about two years ago.  Yes, I said dog-cowl (he's a whippet, and he gets cold).  And yes, it sometimes takes me forever to get things accomplished.   
I have two more tins, however the existing wicks I have are too short.  So I think round two will cost a few more dollars.  I also want to try blending the remaining scented candles with some unscented wax - hopefully this will soften the color and the strength of the scent!